PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAFPS 2015
Thread: FAFPS 2015
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 12:03
Reverend 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al R, the FAPS Team under DCDS Pers are responsible for communications on the new pension scheme from the Centre, with internal comms coming from the single Service Pay Colonels. The FAFPS Team's page is on the Defence Intranet and internet and the RAF have related pages on Air Web (under A1 Spec Support/Pay and Allowances) and Airspace.

With regards PAS, I thought clarification had already been given with regards to how it will be affected by the future pension scheme as it is relatively straightforward (await incoming), but I could not see anything on the FAFPS Team's FAQ page on it. My understanding was that all personnel on PAS following the introduction of FAFPS their pension will be based on career average of their earnings from the date of the new scheme's introduction. The amount of pension accrued under FAFPS will therefore depend on their earnings from 1 Apr 15 (when the scheme is due to start) and the scheme's accrual rate, which has yet to be announced.

For those personnel on PAS and on AFPS 75 as at 31 Mar 15, the pension supplements they have accrued up to that point will be treated as an accrued right in addition to the basic pay related element of their pension. For those who have completed their 5 yr ROS that is relatively straightforward - what you have earned is in the bank and everything from 1 Apr 15 will be on career average. For those who have yet to complete their ROS they will still need to do their 5 yrs to qualify for the pension supplements as an accrued right and once they had done their 5 yrs they would be entitled to all the supplements earned up to 31 Mar 15 in addition to the basic pay related element of their pension prior to that date. Everything else post 1 Apr 15 would be on career average of their salary as above. For those on AFPS 05 the pension earned up to transfer to FAFPS is subject to the same calculation as anyone else as it would be based on final salary on departure and years of pensionable service under AFPS 05.

With regards MM4's points on retention, as I understand it the RAF's approach to managing the FAFPS piece has the potential risk to Operational Capability at its heart, with Gp COS fully engaged as well as COS Pers' area. It is not being looked at as merely a pension policy issue best left to adminers to decide how to best to implement it.