PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Engine plant closing
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 11:03
ex-QF_and_happy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my first post, so forgive me for jumping in here. I will be finishing up along with many of the LTQ staff in a month and am trying not to feel overly emotional about this. I have to respond to you regarding the volume of engines you have pointed to.

Virgin never did a deal with JTS, LHT were not successful in getting the Virgin work either, so this volume goes offshore.
Qantas is currently finalising the 'refresh' program for the CFM56-7 fleet, which will result in a deal with GE to replace engines coming up for a full refurbishment. Not the whole fleet but over 30 engines from what I understand, so significant engine shop volume disappears.
The B5F engines on the 747 has nearly finished their first refurb so won't come back for a while.
The E1 fleet has had a huge number of shop visits in the last 12 or so months, with the hump nearly through. There will be visits but not at the same frequency, and certainly not enough to support running an engine overhaul operation.

All in all it has been a very disappointing day, I do feel for many of the technicians who will now struggle to find employment in Melbourne. Quite a few of the Scots have decided to make a life here, and may now have to look at heading back to Scotland.

I still have many ex-colleagues in the Qantas facility in Tullamarine all going through the same scenario, a completely lamentable story with many families affected.