PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAFPS 2015
Thread: FAFPS 2015
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 10:45
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But, despite being given ample opportunity to comment I do wonder if the survey is actually informing the decision makers or just an MOD process driven hoop jumping exercise?

I can comment as I enter the twilight of my career with under 10 years to go, so my pension is safe.

But on a daily basis the hierarchy and civil servants should not under estimate the crew room and hangar discussions on the subjects of FAFPs, NEM and the interlinked recession. It is my personal opinion that I feel the silence that is being heard from the shop floor is being construed as some form of willing acceptance and compliance.

This could not be further from the truth, it is just that without a representative body akin to other Public Sector workers (i.e. a Trade Union equivalent) and a growing understanding that the politicians just expect a top class, professional, flexible HM Forces but do not want to fund it, then the majority of Service Personnel are resigned to their pensions falling well below their expectations and what their original understanding of remuneration on joining/gaining career extensions/promotion.

It is a silent time bomb that the MOD and politicians are actively encouraging. While all of this ambiguity, uncertainty and plans to reduce take place at the upper levels, on the shop floor the majority plan their exit, second careers and ensuring that they are well placed to press the JPA button (on their terms) when the devil in the detail is announced.

This may not worry MOD and HMT in times of recession, as many will continue to hover over the JPA button until economy picks up. This may not worry the MOD and HMT when there is an increase in outflow as it will still be able to recruit the youth into the system (there will always be wannabe aircrew leaving school).

However, even if the recent Flight article claiming that the airline industry will require 450,000 new pilots over the next 20 years is only half true, what the MOD and HMT might care about (in retrospect) is the number of experienced personnel with qualifications that take many years that suddenly depart the RAF.

Which is why it is the PAS element of the FAFPs is the most concerning to me, and where I thought I saw many declare their intentions early and opt for a PAS career profile, who now have withdrawn that aspiration to continue for a career in the cockpit and/or plan to leave as soon as the conditions and environment is right for them.

What is really worrying for me is that if PAS is not going to be lucrative to entice people to stay and retain their experience. Not only will we have issues complying with the MAA for SQEP, or at least ensuring that we have future Sqns of enough experience to look after the newbies and career high flyers that need the high profile staff postings away from flying, but we will also create a challenging situation for those responsible for managing careers, as everyone changes away from opting for PAS (because there is no incentive) and opts for a full career (where there will inevitably be the continued financial incentive for promotion).

In sum, I fear the traditional old and bold experience leaving Sqns that may result in increased accident rates, as this cadre will not be replaced by those wanting a professional career in the cockpit as there is no financial incentive (with pull factors increasing from civvie street).

I might be wrong, and hopefully I will be, and I really hope that we do not start seeing increases in SIs citing lack of experience, supervision and authorisation as causal factors in accidents and incidents, and the possibility of mission failures due to not having the experience to undertake the operational tasks.

From my end of the spectrum, the PAS works and provides HM Queen and Country with an Air Force that delivers high flyers future starred ranks, while simultaneously ensuring that there is experience at grass roots to deliver the safety and operational/operator experience.

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 26th Jul 2012 at 11:01.