PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 09:29
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Owain...

True of the compressor blades (on a turbojet) but not true of the turbine blades which do provide thrust (reaction to the acceleration of exhaust gases), just like a propeller produces a higher than freestream velocity behind it.
I agree with Easy Street. I misread and assumed you were talking about compressor blades. The turbines are extracting energy from the airflow - similar to the air rotating the propeller when you have an engine failure. It produces lots of drag.

Not sure what you are getting at, but certainly none of the intake thrust was made by combustion - unless you count that bit of the combustion energy that was used to drive "the inlet pumps" as described earlier!
Let's say the airplane is cruising at altitude at lower speeds and 100% of the thrust is from the turbojet. Nothing from the inlet or nozzle. The thrust is 100,000 lbs total and is consuming 100 gal/hr. Now, let's speed up to the normal cruise where the turbojet is producing 8% of the total thrust. Let's say the thrust is 200,000 lbs for normal cruise. 8% is 16,000 lbs and the corresponding fuel flow would be 16 gal/hr for that thrust. So, does this mean that only 16 gal/hr are leaving the fuel tanks when the airplane is in cruise?!

It seems ludicrous that you can get 92% thrust for free! I'm trying to understand what is going on here.