PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Theory on lift
Thread: Theory on lift
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 07:24
Owain Glyndwr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Italia

My understanding is that the air is compressed by the intake as the intake slows the air to subsonic speeds. The air is heated as a result of the compression. The resulting air is directed around the 'core' of the engine and put into the afterburner section where fuel is added to the hot air and ignited, producing significant thrust.
This is a turbojet we are talking about - there is only the "core", no fan. Fuel is not put into the "afterburner" - at least not in cruise. It goes into combustion chambers aft of the compressor and before the turbine. The 'engine' contribution to thrust is carried on the turbine blades which, contrary to one of your earlier posts, behave very much like a multi-stage propeller.

I had read that the air gets heated to a very high temperature and was led to believe that if fuel was introduced to the air (in the afterburner section), it would auto-ignite. Is that correct?
I dunno, but since the afterburner sits behind the turbine (which has a very high exit temperature anyway) the question has no real meaning

Since it's the intake that compresses the air that gets burned and produces 63% of the thrust on the Concorde, they say "the intake produces 63% of the thrust". Is that correct
Picking up on JT's comments, the intake on a supersonic aircraft is essentially a convergent/divergent passage. In the first bit (convergent) the air is slowed down from freestream speeds to Mach 1.0. In the divergent bit it is slowed from Mach 1.0 to about 0.6M or whatever the engine can accept. Over the front bit the compression generates pressure forces on forward facing surfaces and gives drag. In the subsonic divergence the pressure increases steadily going towards the engine. This part of the intake has aft facing surfaces and the increased pressures generate thrust. Whether you get a net drag or thrust depends on the Mach number and the intake design - hence Brian Abraham's comments.

The Concorde thread is a good source of information on this.