PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SMS System Descriptions
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 04:14
flingwing1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional Thoughts on "System"

First, let me mention that I sent Aviator275 a copy of what Chris H sent me last year just in case Chris did know there was a new post in this thread.
------------------

Burr, that looks like a decent method of tying together the elements of an SMS and one I believe I will try myself soon. It certainly should satisfy any auditor who wants to see how you "hung" your SMS together.

However, let me mention the problem I've had with this SMS requirement since the beginning. If I am not mistaken, the requirement to describe "the system" applies to the organization that owns the SMS, not the SMS itself.

For example, this is from FAA Advisory Circular 120-92a:
The system or task descriptions should completely explain the interactions among the organization (facilities, hardware, software, people, etc.) and environment that make up the system in sufficient detail to identify hazards and perform risk analyses.

So you can see the requirement calls for a fairly complete description of your company, not your SMS. While this is not impossible to do, I have been looking for a description that has already been written just to see how someone else "hung together" a description of how their company works.

This business of a "description of the system" was also discussed at length on the LinkedIn Safety Forum last year. Some people did think it meant the SMS but general consensus was that is a description of your company and how the different departments and functions work together.

If you want, I think you can find that at <http://www.linkedin.com/groups#>. CU guys L8tr.