PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I've won lotto!!!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2012, 03:23
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC3Qld,
Along similar lines I have always had a soft spot for the Catalina. Been over in Perth for a couple of weeks and visited the RAAFA museum at Bull Creek. Had a good look at the big Cat and watched the whole DVD they have on it. Now that is a way to travel. Mind you 22 hours aloft is a loooong time. But you can carry lots of mates and kit.

Whilst I was there I also watched the Lancaster DVD. Low and behold a gentleman was there with his daughter and son. He flew Lancs in WWII. Did 12 flights in training to get his captaincy and then flew 13 missions. Well 12.5 anyway. He was on his 13th when he got shot down and spent the rest of the war as a POW courtesy of Hitler. He mentioned a number of things and we had a very nice chat. One thing that got my attention was they sync'd the props visually by looking at prop disc. He also mentioned the prop arc of no 2 and 3 engines is directly in line with pilot/co-pilot. Always worried him that a prop would let go.

At the end of the conversation I was blown away. He was a piece of living history. All I could say was "thank you for your service" and shook his hand.

They also have a beautiful original MK22 Spitfire there. Wonder if, when I win lotto tonight, they would sell it to me to restore to flying condition? I think they will be getting a phone call on Friday to ask just that!

Cheers
CB