PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 23:31
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bubbers44 Something like this saying Mayday accomplishes absolutly nothing. I would only say Mayday or declare an emergency if I would get preferential handling, not because my wing fell off and nobody could help me anyway. What's the point?

Well, that's you, bub, and they may have considered a MAYDAY "not relevant to the flight", just like BEA may have, and that may be why we do not see it reported. There were several flights in the area, and they had radio access to these crews, to report trouble. If their radios worked. We see almost nothing of what adds up to an absolutely bizarre absence of acknowledgement of their situation. Whether the astonishing lack of chatter in the cockpit, the lack of radio, and the lack of TCAS, something is not adding up.

Take stock of all that is missing, and remember that BEA have purposely and admittedly omitted data. How much? Unknown. What type? Unknown. Initially the BEA stated the RHS was not recorded on the FDR, yet later we see A//P 2 trace, and stick, etc. What about radios, and the initial MEL re comms2? Cockpit heating, wipers, cargo hold temp, RHS NAV/RADAR 2, and FD2 traces? Which Buss carries RHS data to FDR? How did it not get recorded, then simply appear?
Plus all other parameters. What is up with that? The report claims AP2 was recorded, does that mean 'NOT engaged'? Or OFF? Because Captain told us it was selected ON...it may not matter re: flight path, and at the time, recovery was not possible. What it shows is a couple of disconnects in the report?

Last edited by Lyman; 25th Jul 2012 at 23:37.