PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 21:25
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Nanga Gaat stuff...

Tiger Mate:

Hangar wriggly tin was brand new when I got there in Jan '66.

HQ Building wood was stained "Mission Brown". Most buildings and shacks were rough sawn timber, most of them that the Ibans used had atap roofing (the ones on the left in your painting).

The only two "permament" buildings were the HQ Building in your painting and the Airmen's Accomodation which was on "Main Street" closer to the Rajang River, these had exterior "weatherboard" siding.

Boardwalks had two laid pieces of timber (tree branches I recall) in the mud in the direction of travel and then short boards laid across them and nailed down.

The thread I mentioned (Confrontation, know your enemy - was it Soekarno ?) is, dare I say it.... on "Key Publishing - Historic Aviation". You have to search for it nowadays though.

It even shows me (when I was a young and spritely lad, handsome too I could mention !) standing by one of the beasts and shows the wobble pump on the leg which was black.

Yes, Old Duffer, we did refuel using the wobble pump on occasion. I well recall sweating my a@&$e off refuelling from a drum using the wobble pump while running and it barely kept up with the fuel usage...

XP332: Just looked through my Logbook and can't find 332 anywhere, at either Seletar, Kuching, Nanga Gaat, Labuan or Hong Kong..... I may be wrong but it doesn't seem to be a Seletar beast sent up to HK when the cordon work was being done there before 28 Squadron was re-formed. Sent out from UK when some of the Far East machines went back for heavy maintenance ?

I only have beasts in my log which had the big pig filter on the front, I can't recall beasts at NG (or elsewhere) without the pig snout.

Happy daubing !

Regards,

Dave Billings
www.electranewbritain.com

Last edited by David Billings; 25th Jul 2012 at 22:40.