PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC Radio Intervew Richard de Crespigny
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 18:18
Fantome

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the long running earlier VH-OQA thread is closed, it wouldn't be a bad thing if our long-suffering VICTIM OF A BORED GOD mod-man did not have cause to apply the gag again.

Last week's interview given on the ABC FM radio program called Margaret Throsby's Guest should not be listened to by any too precious about the 'oh my god .. . wow .. . . ' factor. (It was Margaret after all who asked the late Alex Henshaw . . ' So did the Germans have Hurricanes or Spitfires?')
And anyway it is the interviewed rather than interviewee who is of prime interest.

On a completely minor point, R DE C does say quite erroneously that we get our VH prefix from Victor Holyman, a co-founder of Holyman's Airways and ANA. That cannot be because the allocation of VH and a swag of others round the world occurred in 1928, predating Holyman's by some eight years.

The former closed thread had mention of a book 'Mayday' but no other detail. It did get a run here back in 2003 -

PPRuNe Forums > Dunnunda, Godzone and the Pacific > DG&P Reporting Points > "Mayday" - book by QF Capt. John Winslow (ret.)

B767300ER
3rd Jul 2003

Just finished reading a softbound book, "MAYDAY" by QF (retired) 747 Captain John Winslow. Subtitled "17 Amazing true-life stories of aircrew fighting near impossible odds to bring their crippled aircraft back to earth."

Very good read, and very good commentary by Capt.Winslow.

Introduction by Nancy-Bird Walton, AO OBE

Highly recommended!

Also, it had some very enjoyable stories about checking out/qualifying new Captains/FOs at QF. Very enlightening perspective of QF training, which obviously is very good.

twobigtesticles
9th Jul 2003
I think I saw this book in a newsagent, and whilst i certainly didnt look at it thoroughly, a quick glance appeared to show that some of the articles were just copies or summaries from Mac Jobs Air Disaster Books.

B767300ER
10th Jul 2003
Not copies of Mac Job's fine "Air Disaster" series, but similarly formatted. "Mayday" has photos, but no artwork like "Air Disaster", and the stories are only 3-5 pages long. In "Air Disaster", the stories are much longer and more comprehensive.