PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotational question
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 12:06
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I often wonder what I would actually do if I did get an proper reason to complete an EOL with my family on board in not so ideal conditions.

If you have two arms, two legs and a head like the rest of us then you are already half way there. Just make sure that your instructor ensures that you can / will put the collective down straight away the engine stops, that you passed the test to have already identified your spot from aways back and that your machine is set up correctly with the auto RPM and the rest is academic.

I.E. Taught technique will rule.

The point about the correct auto RRPM where the design engineer, the test pilots and their maintenance manual says it orta be, I cannot stress loudly enough.

Let's say your rotor tacho has failed, you are still a little distance from your - land as soon as possible airfield where you can get it fixed - and the engine subesequently fails. As I have said before, you will first peer at the tacho, your heart will miss a beat or three, then you will remember, the auto RRPM is correct all I need to do is lower the collective to the bottom and the RRPM will settle in the green where it is supposed to.

Your instructor should have also covered your tacho in a long auto descent or three to ensure that you will quickly remember the "sound" of everything good. See - easy, time to pass the biscuits.