PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson 737 lands on taxiway at Paphos?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 11:56
cyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A tad late on the roundout, Hoskins
waveskimmer, LOL , very observant. Unfortunately I'm only a backseat rider so don't want to comment on what you pros know. It was a very very choppy day and we were rolling and pitching non stop, and the novice pilot was practising touch-n-goes, and nature had decided that my day was not going to end well.

On some of the discussed above, an ex-Eurocypria SFO friend of mine did say to me regarding this discussion, that while with Eurocypria and on visual approach to said airfield in conditions of low setting sun, his captain of 20 yrs experience did line up with said taxiway also, until being reminded by my friend and going into 're-alignment' mode in due time. And those guys supposedly know that airfield like the back of their hand.

There is another aspect to this also. Ural airlines, Russians. The previous week, the Aeroflot Il96 came in for a heavy landing at LCA, bursting a few of his tyres, veering off the runway, and effectively closing the runway for a while as the mess, and Il96 were cleared up, I believe there was an emergency evacuation. The previous week, a Transaero 747 coming in at LCA, again in perfect early evening conditions, at about 100ft of the deck, aborted and did a go around for no apparent reason to the hundreds of people watching from the beach (including myself) . That was 3 out of 3 incidents/events to the Russians. As Boney M said in one of their songs, "oh those Russians !"

Last edited by cyflyer; 25th Jul 2012 at 17:00.