PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barry Hempel Inquest
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 11:50
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone asking to see his medical could be shown a valid medical - you would need to be able to pick up the difference between a class one and class two medical to know whether he was correctly licensed for commercial operations.
How is the average punter supposed to know this?
Let's say I'm an average person wanting a joyflight; how do I establish that the operator is reasonably safe? Is there a database or do I have to rely on what 'everybody knows' and hope that I'm part of the Everybody Knows Club?

Or should I have a reasonable expectation that in Australia, a business advertising a service is 1. licensed to do so and 2. uses licensed operators to provide that adverised service, not people with known medical issues that should preclude them from flying?

This has systemic failure written all over it. The system works only when everyone wants it to work. When someone thwarts that, the whole thing falls in a heap, a customer dies and it's no-one's fault. Just an unfortunate event.

What this case shows is that aviation in Australia is regulated by the law of the jungle/caveat emptor. Pay your money and take your chance; the regulator cannot protect you, the law will not protect you; all you can count on is your own hunch and a bunch of rumours. Don't count on law enforcement agencies to enforce the law because it's all Too Hard.

Joyflight anyone?