PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Ditching Perth - Myth?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2012, 09:02
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
fish

The prevailing consensus is that additionally on a later occasion, a 767 actively considered ditching. QF colleagues related the case to me at the time and I believe sim sessions were subsequently developed with such a scenario in mind.
OK. I'll say again what I said on the other thread. It didn't happen. A QF 767 has never considered ditching in PER instead of auto landing. I've flown with guys who have been on QF 767s for the entirety of it's service in Qantas- all 26+ years. They too have no idea where the myth comes from. They have no names of the Captain, no name of the F/O, no year attached to it. Nothing.

Compare that to the 747 into Learmonth on the final command check. Everyone knows the story (diverting to Learmonth due fog, missed out on the approach, did a let down over water and scud ran back in), the year is traceable (to when that Captain did his final command check), the name of the check captain is known, etc.

I've never done a sim on the 767 related to ditching off Perth or anywhere else or where that was even an option to be considered but then again I didn't fly the 767 prior to '97. Perhaps in the previous 12 years they did but I'd be surprised were that to be the case given that none of those other crew I've flown with have ever talked of doing a sim where ditching was an option and the reason they had the sim was as a result of someone getting out of shape in Perth (or somewhere else).

Others such as Captain Kremin- who has been around Qantas for nearly a decade longer than me- have previously confirmed the same thing. The supposed potential ditching of a 767 off Perth averted by a check and trainer didn't occur.

The ONLY time I've ever heard this myth is on PPRUNE. I'm interested in where crystalballwannabe heard the story as part of his (or her) airline induction? Surely not Qantas?