PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in the US of A
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2003, 20:17
mjbow2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Check.....

If you have at least 1200-1500 hours with at least 100 multi and perhaps some CFI time then you will be in with a chance at some of the regionals. Furloughed Major pilots have by and large got the kiss of death at the moment. There arent a whole lot of regional carriers willing to hire them since they will only go back when recalled.

There are still jobs over here at the regional level and at the Frax operators. The key is to get a recomendation......(the usual story). Still, networking your way into a job is something you will have to do here or there....its just that here there are jobs.

I work for a small regional airline here and have seen aprx 100 pilots hired over the last 6 months....we keep loosing our pilots to the likes of Air Wisconsin, Sky west, ACA, ASA, Net Jets, Comair Etc....The vast majority of our new hires had less than 1000 hours and ALL of them had a recomendation from one of our pilots.

The way I see it, there is only two obstacles...The INS and your own definition of the word SACRIFICE....

A friend of mine came over here on a Tourist Visa......got married, was issued a temporary work permit until the INS interview......just to get a flying job.

If you take this route.....be prepared to say goodby to your life as you know it.......its a big sacrifice, but in my opinion, its worth it........There arent many other places in this world where I could have crossed 1500hours and moved to the left seat of a regional turboprop imeadiately...

good luck......let me know if I can give ya any more info