PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 19:15
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend John flew the A320 for ten years before he flew the T7. He loved the Bus, and he was in Normal Law his entire ten years, the aircraft did not even hiccup, not once. I asked him about 447, he allowed that he felt for the crew, saying they got in over their head, and weren't able to find their way out.

Now John is a premier pilot, respected by all, and I listen to him. I asked what he thought his chances would be had he been flying the Sister, 330, that fateful night. He said: "Bill, not good. We get complacent, skills deteriorate, and I could not say I would do better. I like to think I would, but there was a great deal going on for those guys."

I venture to say that training is important, even paramount, but there are other things that work against success when confronted with the dicey realities of life.

Staying cool under pressure comes to mind, and having the ability to clear one's mind in the face of real danger is critical. As the possibility of danger retreats into the land of near impossibility, there, there be dragons.

Since teaching flying has deteriorated into the state it is in, and standards are almost non existent re skill, why not start looking for the psychologically prepared candidate first and foremost? The other boxes have been checked.....

Courage? Grace, under pressure.

Last edited by Lyman; 24th Jul 2012 at 19:18.