PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 14:41
deSitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TM quote

The captain then applied full manual braking and reverse thrust was engaged with 1,500 ft of runway remaining - an action which automatically deployed the speed brakes. The aircraft left the runway and rolled 200 ft into grass. None of the 139 passengers and crew members were injured in the 26 April 2011 incident.

What is the solution to this type of crass bad airmanship? Because in all probability it is not just an isolated incident. Some would recommend more still automation. Others may see it differently.
It's impossible to be rid of this behavior. People who use computers in all contexts will simply sit and stare or fumble about when trouble comes, even experts, even the very people who are in charge of operating them. I have seen programmers stare at the screen for minutes pondering the unexpected behavior of their own work. The man/computer interface involving button pushing and knob twiddling is not suitable for a high demand activity such as handling an emergency.

IMO the entire thing should be reduced to a few instantly accessible modes 1) leave me alone I'm flying this airplane 2) help me out a little here 3) I'll help you out here 4) you fly, I'm taking a rest 5) TOGA 6) autoland. Thrust, trim, and controls should all replicate the time-honored and physically debugged act of manual flying at all times.

This does not mean the computer cannot be active in a smoothing sense even when 1) is selected. No efficiency would be lost. The beanies would be mollified. The computer could also act in an advisory capacity, suggesting optimal performance configuration in manual mode. But the real issue is the interface.

Last edited by deSitter; 24th Jul 2012 at 14:50.