PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 9
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 11:28
Zeroninesevenone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1// It was not only one pitot, it were all 3 and not at the same value and duration. If it had been only 1 this one was isolated and that would have been clear to both A/C as pilots.
You are right. My mistake after remembering the page 96 of the final report.

2// Due to the difference in both values as in duration the automation could not set the ADR disagree message in the initial phase.
Agreed. But in 40 seconds period it could have, generating a better diagnostics. As the final report says on page 176: "the ECAM displays no information that is likely to point to a speed indication problem". But the AP disconnected exactly because of this.." .. "It should be noted that the reconfiguration to alternate law occurred because of the triggering of specific monitoring that is designed to react to events like icing of several Pitot probes, However, no explicit indication that could allow a rapid and accurate disgnosis was presented to the crew".
The plane knew something it did not "bother" to say.

3// The messages are not cryptic (at least NOT to airbii insiders) they are brief and if any crew action is required it will be displayed in a cyan color and idented to distinct it from the message itself.
I am sure they are quite familiar to AB pilots. Still I think that the briefness of the messages can add to the congnitive stress situations more than ease it. Many times acronyms can speed up reading, but under stress it can be deteriorating.

"Between 2 h 10 min 18 and 2 h 10 min 25, the PNF read out the ECAM messages in a disorganized manner"

Surely there could be a better way to get the messages out and understood.

f.i. there was no ECAM action to select RH PFD to ADR 3, with this action they extended the duration of unreliable airspeed indication on his display.
Maybe a step to identify the problem by exclusion. They had the info at that point, at 2.11.06.

Still I cannot help to think that there was something, in the displays, indicators or anywhere that made quite experienced pilots to start moving the plane before understanding the situation.
And even when it seems they started to get the understanding, they did not apply anymore.

Thanks!