PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 10:34
chetcutijean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach and Flare

Hey there! I'm a PPL student and I have been flying for quite some time now and I am currently in the circuits stage. I did perform glide approaches, flapless and full flaps approaches so I am quite familiar with the different configurations. The problem is that I can't seem to fully understand and furthermore, put it into practice, the idea that pitch alters the speed and power changes the approach path.

Whenever I end up on a low approach path, I do add power yet alter the pitch setting also. The reason behind this is that I do not feel comfortable with the aircraft having to recover from a low approach at such a slow rate (ie: it takes too long to return to its proper approach path), thus I usually pitch up. Is this a correct technique? On the other hand, when it comes to flaring, I do not always carry out a smooth landing though in general, my instructors advises me just to hold the aircraft a little longer and pull back on the control column a little further.

The technique that I have been thought is that a few feet above the runway, you level out with the runway and hold the aircraft in that position, gradually increasing back pressure until the main wheels touch the ground then gently lowering the nose. I do not have any problem with this technique yet would greatly appreciate any tips and tricks from your experiences as pilots. Thanks