PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 05:36
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
I see the Whirlwind in the foreground now has a number. XP332 was dropped in the oggin at Hong Kong in May 1969 after an engine rundown, having taken off in the rain for a troop lift. It was one of the original batch of six aircraft taken to H/K at the backend of '67 when 103/110 ran the detachment turn and turn about. 28 Sqn was formed in the Spring of '68 and took over. The question, therefore, is - did 332 ever do the Nanga Gaat bit? I suspect the answer is: Yes but does it really matter?

As to the Wobble Pump, my recollection was the handle which made it happen was stowed on the forward bulkhead and hence only deployed when needs must. Again, IIRC the preferred sequence went something like: bowser, Zwicky pump - if it would start - wobble pump. I can't remember doing a hand refuel by decanting from a 45 gallon drum but I expect it happened!

As Dave B says, most of these places were pretty scruffy with plenty of local 'involvement'. As to which way the planks lay, I can't say I ever noticed!

Old Duffer