PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 05:35
JuggerD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age is definitely a factor, but for a true aviation enthusiast there are no limits. I've seen guys drowning in debt, spending a huge load getting certified, then failing at securing employment, investing some more in p2fly, getting a TR, and still not getting a job... but they kept on trying till they eventually got a paying gig.

I come from a family where most of my Uncles were experienced senior captains in the national flag carrier with multiple TRs. As a child I idolised them, and wanted to be just like them flying B747s. But even then (BACK IN THE 80's!) they'd (my Uncles) tell me that it wasn't a profession worth pursuing, all the jobs had dried up, and batches of qualified pilots fresh out of Flight Schools were unemployed. I always knew that my parents would dish out as much as I'd tell them to when it came to my education, and they never stopped me from pursuing any particular profession... EXCEPT flying (thanks to my Uncles)! Anyway, I graduated from a top tier school in London with multiple majors (Accounting, Finance and Economics), wasn't even allowed to study aviation. Then my first Masters was from another red brick UK Business School with the same majors (Accounting and Finance), did my MBA from London, got my professional Accounting certification from ACCA (UK), got my professional finance certification from IFC (USA), and started working on a high paying salary at a Blue Chip company as a Senior Associate.

Born in 1984, I'm still in my late 20's, single, no dependants as such, or any financial obligations. As much as I love my life, my field of expertise, my job, I just wanted to be a pilot. Flying for a living! But considering the amount of money my parents had spent on my education (yes, I still fear that look of disappointment in my parents' eyes!), I couldn't in good faith just resign form my job and leave on a wild goose chase (an airline pilot's job). So, none the less, I got enrolled with a flight school and got my PPL/IR ME 650TT. Got my parents to pay for it, which they happily did this time around with one condition though; No CPL! For now, I'm still working as a finance professional, I'm stonewalled! But someday, I will manage a way to do what I have always wanted to do. A SUCCESSFUL CAREER CHANGE! Nobody believes in me, maybe they shouldn't, maybe I'm just living in a fool's paradise... so be it. I'll keep on trying anyway!

JD

Last edited by JuggerD; 24th Jul 2012 at 22:22.