PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABC Radio Intervew Richard de Crespigny
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 04:15
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Of his edited burst in the Oz on the weekend, I thought this paragraph most telling.

This decision to do control checks would be controversial to 90 per cent of commercial pilots. A control check has a certain element of risk to it, sure. However, the greater risk is committing to a landing when you are not certain about the information or the integrity of the systems you are acting upon. I anticipated at least one of the other four pilots might register their complaint because the discussion of control checks never arises in airline textbooks, particularly with passengers on board. I was conscious they might think I was a "cowboy" and reckless. We were being vectored in a long, sweeping left turn onto our final heading. As we headed into the south and straightened for our final, Matt called our altitude - 1370m - and I said: "We need some control checks." I heard the sound of shifting weight behind me but neither of the check pilots spoke. I don't know if Harry and Dave wanted to stop me, but I had timed the announcement to catch them unawares. By the time they'd swapped their glances, it was too late.
I've highlighted the bit that concerns me.

I'm short on time so a couple of quick points.

1. Control checks after abnormals is a normal part of Qantas command training. It's hardly 'controversial'.

2. Not particularly effective CRM to want to do something but not talk it through with the rest of the crew first. If you think it's a good idea, discuss it with them. Perhaps they have ideas and suggestions that will improve the idea.

3. I've not met Harry Wubbin but I've flown with Dave Evans. I've got no qualms that were you to suggest something stupid- even at that late stage of the game- he'd say something. To imply that you suggested the control check so late that someone of Dave Evan's calibre was unable to speak up is a significant slur against Dave's character... and against the character of the remainder of the crew as well.

All those points in that para alone suggest something intriguing about 'character'. I'll leave it to others to consider their own assessment.