PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS - WHERE TO NOW?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2012, 04:12
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a strange ad. There's no picture of the product or any focus on what it is. If you were an alien watching the ad you'd be hard placed to work out what Qantas actually do. It's not exciting enough to drag you in (like some of the esoteric beer ads such as the moose ad from the same agency, where you think 'WTF are they advertising here? I've got to watch and find out') and it's all rather bland.

The agency have done some very striking advertisements for other companies (particularly the current Hahn ad), but this isn't one of them. Maybe everyone was trying to be a bit too clever, but I don't know why Qantas is pushing for 'clever' advertising when its competitors are largely sticking with the 'here's our aircraft full of hot hosties/pilots flying to exciting places' theme. Maybe they're trying to stand out from the competitors, but IMO it's not engaging or memorable enough to stand out from anything. I didn't realise what it was until someone in the room pointed it out to me.
Work | Mojo
why don't QF get Lara Bingle back into that Bikini and ask "So where the bloody hell are you"
Skank advertising annoys a hell of a lot of women, even many who publicly say it doesn't worry them. Potentially alienating half your potential customers from the outset is not smart. In a blokey market (such as V8 supercars for example) it can be effective, but I assume airline ticket customers are pretty much 50/50, so... Even many of the big beer manufacturers are moving away from skanks and towards ads that appeal to both genders. Why? Women buy beer too.

Anyway, I suppose from the agency's point of view at least we're discussing it, and it's still less irritating than the Commonwealth Bank's 'putting the u back in can't' campaign.

Last edited by Worrals in the wilds; 24th Jul 2012 at 05:14.