PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Underslung Load 'Incidents'
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 21:31
BTDTGTTShirt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F I LOADS

Shackman, Waddoplummer, Motley

I remember the Kent ISO slightly differently. ISTR that the task was to pick up the rubbish ISO which usually weighed about 8t. On this occasion there had been a new bit of building going on and at the end of it all the excess rubble etc was thrown in the ISO. When it came to the lift the aircraft was in the hover with about 78 kts indicated. As they transitioned over the north side of the site. (the one with the big cliff) the ias dropped to about 40kts and there was quite a roller coaster till they got some sensible airspeed on again. I remember my front end crew reverse engineering the ODM to come up with an all up weight of 28.5 t. MAUW at the time was 22.7 and with an APS plus fuel of about 15t it gives you an ISO weight of 18.5t. Still a tad heavy.

Rollandpull

My crew had delivered those ISOs the day before on a double 40ft strop without redundant rigging. I don’t think it had been invented then. Unfortunately my twin brother managed throw half the rigging away over the side of Atlantic Causway. The final move was as you say without the extra rigging because of my twin brother (who as a side has also been known to attend riotous parties ) but the final positioning called for a single point lift with handling lines. 4 of the ISOs had been put in and the one that went bombing Stanley harbour was the last. Not having the extension rigging was factor but the major cause was the lifting eye was corroded and not man enough. The eyes of all the chains were still locked when recovered.

My twin brothers mishaps

4 bollocks dieso San Carlos replen to Goose Green. A bit of turbulence and one fecked orff at about 2000 ft. Didn’t alf go bang when it hit the rocks.

Genny Moody Brook If it had of been me I would have blamed the hookers.

10Ft Shake on iso Full of NAAFI nutty, booze, beer and fags up to Byron. They were notorious for spinning and the only way to stop them was touch them on the ground . A bit difficult on the way up to Byron over the sound. Make Sure They Are Locked. SIB Plod didn’t see the funny side of it untill we showed him all the flotsam on the shore of the sound.

Challenging loads

Chinook on to Liecesterbrook
Lots of Pucaras to Atlantic Causway. We refused the last one cause it had bang seats in with no pins.
Phantom minus donks from Airfield to Leicesterbrook

Scariest Load.

Building Byron Radar we always picked up a particular ISO every morning and then dragged it back last lift at night. This night because we needed a low fuel for a heavy lift in the morning we didn’t refuel and just hovered off the side while the ship crew moved the ISO off the deck. Someone opened it and out stepped 4 Royal Engineers. Captain was not happy is an understatement. Ships captain not happy. Union not happy. We think they were doing it at Alice too.