PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your first flying job?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 17:33
Dupre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started out in aviation in 2005 running the camera system on aerial survey flights. After well over a year, with still no actual prospects of doing any flying I resigned. Found a part time gig on a Cherokee Six. Up well before dawn and back well after dark, for 1.6hrs in the logbook - twice a week. Nine months later I had cracked 400hrs TT and moved to Botswana. Got lucky there - C206 initially, then C210 and bit of C172 for fun. The C208 followed in due course. After three years headed north to Tanzania and got another C208 job (much better pay and G1000 though!) Started getting a little twin time in 2011 when I got released on the C404 with almost 3000hrs of single time.

Still hunting down the 500 multi that most operators down in oz are looking for Maybe in another few years!

I've applied (always in person) to probably 30 companies and have been offered 3 flying jobs out of it. Probably another 30 companies by email and have received a total of one reply.

My best advice is to persist, persist, persist. It can and will happen if you put enough into it. Also try to stay debt free so you can go chasing opportunities wherever they are and however much they pay.

Good luck