PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 17:24
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Melchett01
I'd forget the casual look and go for at least smart or semi-smart. Remember the military - and especially the training enviornment - is more formal than the rest of society and what is considered acceptable on a daily basis in civvie street won't necessarily cut it. So if you are talking about interviews, then a suit would be the safe option. Failing that, then jacket and tie or if in the summer smart trousers, shoes and shirt / jacket combo without the tie - known as Planters Rig in the Officers' Messes would probably be fine. If you make it to OASC, it's a suit all the way.
Spot on. Certainly at the AFCO stage and at your age you are not expected to have a suit etc. Smart casual should be clean, pressed, and properly worn. Button down collars should be buttoned down. Shoes clean and if laced properly tied. A tie should be properly knotted. The shirt should be inside the trousers which in turn should be round your waist not your bum.

If look at what I have said it is about how you are dressed not what you are dressed in. If you have shoulder length hair and designer stubble that is not a problem either provided it is clean and tidy. Again how and not what.

If you are accepted your flight sergeant will sort out the stubble and the station barber will sort out the hair