PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 17:13
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TO, by 1965 the force was a low level strike force so a fighter rules exercise simulating enemy bombers was unrealistic. We did one PPI attack on Norway which was a trick as we were heading east and inside the range where we were not permitted to radiate H2S into Russia. In UK we did on RBS attack but I can't recall whether it was post-exercise of part of it.

Regarding Lightning/Javelin, don't forget the Sea Vixen was a formidable interceptor too and the Hunters were no slouch at high level either. You never know but we might have been allocated SAM. On the other hand with 500 attackers and only 200 defenders and only 2 kills per Sea Vixen/Javelin and 1 kill per Lightning the bomber (or some) would always get through.

Post-flight analysis was fascinating.

A bomber deemed to have been shot down twice meant that the second kill was scrubbed and that 'wasted' missile shot could then be reassigned to that fighter should it have made an additional intercept.

The other trick was calculating what damage a bomber that was not intercepted would have caused and when. If an early attack was deemed successful on a SAM site then all subsequent kills attributed to that SAM site were also annulled. Similarly fighters 'destroyed' before take-off had their kills annulled.

On later exercises I recall one of the first bombers through wiped out North Coates. Of course the problem here is that a target allocated to SAM and then destroyed would not have been allocate to SAM in for real.

On another very early (AM) attack on a Danish airfield at low level we followed a Hunter down the runway. Our attack was complete before the rest got airborne and our Hunter would have been destroyed by our bomb blasts.