PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 16:44
Reinhardt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And maybe airlines pilots* could stop making a fool of new recruits, coming from Air Forces where they flew fighters, trainers, liaison aircraft, did in flight-refuelling, air combat, close formation take-off and landings, air displays, short-field landings with NVG, low level tactical navigations, para droppings, carrier landings (and even ILS auto)
From my own memory and colleagues experience, airline pilots are always very good in explaining to you how it was to fly fighters, when they don't have the slightest clue about the job... which doesn't prevent them to consider you are not fit for the job of flying crates from A to B on autopilot... (I'm now a wide-body Captain, for info - and I have done years ago barrel rolls with transport aircraft, yes not difficult it's exactly like a barrel roll in fighters with a wingman in close formation .... so much for handling skills)
So the solution is : recruit more ex-fighter pilots, who got through a real selection, and didn't pay for their job.
I fortunately have a lot of very proficient colleagues in the airlines, of all origins.

(*) by airline pilots, I mean those systems monitoring officers and button-pushers who are the subject of this topic.

Last edited by Reinhardt; 23rd Jul 2012 at 17:05.