PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson 737 lands on taxiway at Paphos?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 15:56
yeoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And there we have exactly the question: It is not a question as to whether or not it can be done despite assertions to the contrary. The question is, HOW or perhaps more pertinently, WHY?

Shortly after this event I received 4 emails from people who had managed to line up with the taxiway at PFO in exactly the conditions described, low sun, haze, pale tarmac blending with dry grass etc. Happily, all 4 spotted the error in time to make a correction and there is now a focus on catching the "nearly" safety events.

I can make it 5. A few years ago a very senior Captain with vast experience lined up with the taxiway. I spoke up and the correction was made in good time so no issue. His comment after shut down was one I try to remember - "I've been flying for 40+ years and I never cease to be amazed at the new ways I still find to up and the number of scenarios I still see for the first time". I regret that we didn't consider filing a report, a regret echoed in all 4 emails above.

As for the how or why, I have no idea although there were extenuating circumstances.

The lights I believe are now always on as a result of this incident and the findings from the investigation.

And I'm sure you will have seen that a military type has just managed the same trick in the Tampa FL area, landing not on a taxiway but at a nearby municipal airport. Again, how, why?

Last edited by yeoman; 23rd Jul 2012 at 15:56.