PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotational question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 11:48
Shenanigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes EN48 that's more of what I'm getting at.

As an example if in steady state my RPM is 107 with collective full down and that's in limits than will that have a positive effect on the decel, negative, or make no difference at all. On the opposite side, if I had put in 3 inches of collective and had a 95% RPM would that loss in potential energy and collective margin with reduction of rate of descent have an affect on the ability to cushion?

Both examples within limits. It's likely one method is better than another though the difference may be barely noticeable.

The collective against the full stop would require less concentration than an intermediate spot- (then check...then readjust to achieve exactly 100) at a time when concentration likely needs to be outside. So another variable is the benefit of simplicity against the possible inconsequential rise of RPM a few %. I think that thats what people are saying when they say they don't care a lot about the RPM in an actual emergency. If you just drop the collective hit the recommended airspeed and find an LZ than 99% of the time the RPM will take care of itself (by design, even if not at exactly 100%) by the time you need to decel.

Last edited by Shenanigan; 23rd Jul 2012 at 12:10.