PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 11:11
morenof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
feedback screening july 2012

Hello! I thought I could share a bit of info from my screening last week since I have been following this thread for a while. I hope it helps.

WRITTEN EXAM

All questions are taken from the 2012 FAA ATP written exam. These are the exact questions with their corresponding reference number (in parenthesis) in case anyone has the FAA ATP exam book with them at home. I have written the correct answers below the question:

1. (8234). When carrying passenger aboard an all-cargo aircraft, which of the following applies?
The pilot in command may authorize the passenger to be admitted to the crew compartment.

2. (8184). A flight crew member must be able to don and use a quick-donning oxygen mask within
5 seconds.

3. (8164). Which emergency equipment is required for a flag carrier between JFK and London? (Note: not exactly the same question but the answers provided were same as in question 8164 in ATP exam)
An appropriately equipped survival kit attached to each required liferaft.

4. (9172). If the ambient temperature is warmer than standard at FL350, what is the density altitude compared to pressure altitude?
Higher than pressure altitude.

5. (9412). When may a pilot descend below 100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation during a category II ILS instrument approach when only the approach lights are visible?
When the red terminal bar of the approach light systems are in sight.

6. (8907). Identify the runway distance remaining markers.
Signs with increments of 1000 feet distance remaining.

7. (8348). What affects indicated stall speed?
Weight, load factor and power.

8. (8333). For which purpose may flight spoilers be used?
Reduce the wing's lift upon landing.

9. (8933). A definition of the term "viscous hydroplaning" is where
A film of moisture covers the painted or rubber-coated portion of the runway.

10. (8247). When the forecast weather conditions for a destination and alternate airport are considered marginal for a domestic air carrier's operation, what specific action should the dispatcher or pilot in commas take?
List at least one additional alternate airport.

11. (9383). What action should be taken when a pilot is "cleared for approach" while being radar vectored on an unpublished route?
Remain at last assigned altitude until established on a published route segment.

12. (9091-1). If visual reference is lost while circling to land from an instrument approach, what action(s) should the pilot take?
Make a climbing turn toward the landing runway until established on the missed approach course.

13. (9010). Under what conditions should a pilot on IFR advise ATC of minimum fuel status?
If the remaining fuel precludes any undue delay.

14. (9119). Which flight conditions of a large jet airplane create the most severe flight hazard by generating wingtip vortices of the greatest strength?
Heavy, slow, gear and flaps up.

15. (9212). When flying over the top of a severe thunderstorm, the cloud should be overflown by at least
1000 feet for each 10 knots windspeed.

INTERVIEW GENERAL QUESTIONS.

This is pretty much what you have told me already in previous briefings:

1. Why do you wanna work for AJX?
2. How would you deal with the commuting contract?
3. What does your family think about this?
4. Your strengths and weaknesses
5. Please give a presentation of yourself 6. How did you prepare for this screening process?
7. Some questions regarding your application form they might think interesting.
8. Qualities of an airline pilot.
9. Have you had any bad experiences during flight? any incidents?
10. Have you applied to other airlines?
11. How did you get here? How was your flight?

INTERVIEW TECHNICAL QUESTIONS.

1. Define V1 speed.
2. What is CRM? Your CRM training at your present company.
3. Threat management. What are threats? Give examples of threats.
4. What airport equipment is required for a CAT II/III ILS approach?
5. Runway center lights: colours last 3000 feet.
6. Equipment required for RVSM operations.
7. What is your aircraft crosswind limitation?
8. RVSM equipment failure procedures. What is your responsibility? In my case, the question wasn't focused towards an equipment failure plus a 2 way comm failure. I understood I had ATC comms all the time when I answered it.
9. What is a balanced V1?

SIMULATOR

Exactly as described in profile given except that you don't have to worry about programming the FMS. All takeoffs, including the V1 cut, are up to flaps 1 only. No flaps up. The profile doesnt mention this for the VOR and ILS approaches but raise flaps only up to flaps 1, then when altitude captured call for the cklist. I am used to call for the after takeoff cklist with flaps up but I had the impression that you call for this cklist when at your cleared altitude. During the practice visual approach before the test I did this and they said "not now" so I called again for the cklist once altitude was captured and I guess this was ok but its probably better to ask them during your orientation just to make sure. Keep your takeoff briefings "very short". Follow the exact same sequence before every takeoff as described in profiles (check wx, get clearance, briefing, before takeoff cklist, takeoff clearance). Confirm all clearances the way explained in profile, this is important.

I hope this helps!