PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 22:25
teresa green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How right you are Zapatas, in my era, flying the aircraft was part of your training, your work, your learning, and your pleasure. I could always marvel that I got paid for doing something I loved so much. Now you are not allowed to touch the bloody thing, but still expected to get it out of trouble, when all the bells and whistles fail. Go figure. It is very interesting to read the QF Skippers account of his feelings after it all happened. My biggest could be disaster was the DC9 incident out of CBR which is documented. My F/O and myself, and a paxing Flighty got seriously pissed afterwards, along with a shaken cabin crew, and I guess that was our way of dealing with it, and I note the QF crew did exactly the same. Then you have to be prepared for the fallout afterwards. At first elation, then relief, then self doubt, followed by the fact that you had just faced your own mortality, and you look at your family and be grateful. I did not need professional help, and was given a fortnight off, but was glad to return to flying, with a new respect for the DC9 and its capacity to get itself out of trouble, with full fuel, full pax, and one donk that pulled like a Trojan, and as most of you know the terrain around CBR it bloody well needed to. I still think about it at times, it kept me awake for some time, considering it was not simply a engine failure due to tyre ingestion, but I was carrying the Treasurer (Keating) and most of the front bench of the Govt that night, had I pranged it would have changed this countries history, and I would have left my wife and my family to have that on their shoulders for ever more.