PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Once a pilot - now a computer's sidekick
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 01:16
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Examples of when you have lost the enthusiasm that we all had when we began to learn to fly.
On descent on a lovely day into Melbourne winds L&V.

"Do you mind if I switch off the flight director and hand fly for a bit"?
"Whatever for? - you are only making it hard for yourself and load me up as well"
Jeez Jack - its CAVOK and I've got a sim check coming up -I need the practice.
No son - leave the autopilot in. It's safer that way.
Well can I switch to HSI mode on my side?
Whatever for - are you mad or something? - leave it on MAP for better situational awareness, son.
Glum silence - then "Mind if I turn off the autobrake for my landing?"

"Whatever for?" Are you trying to bust every SOP?
No captain, I'm not. And autobrakes for every landing is not SOP, anyway. All I want to do is keep my hand in on manual flying like I did in GA and with 10,000 ft of runway I don't need the autobrake, anyway.

Alright son, I'll go you halves - you can turn off the autopilot on short final and I'll have the autobrake on three. Leave the flight director on in case of a go-around though.
"Three for Christ's sake- WTF do you want autobrake three for - the brakes will get hot" Anyway we don't need the flight director for a go-around".

"In my aircraft son, you use the flight director at all times and as far as hot brakes - well it never happens with autobrakes and anyway brakes are built to take heat didn'tcha know that. Now relax son, and watch your language. Just you do what I tell you and leave the flight director, the autopilot, the autothrottle, the autobrake, and the autospeed brakes to do their jobs and everything will be fine when you fly with me.
"But but but!"
"Don't effing argue with me son. Just fly the bloody aircraft.
"Yes captain Sir - that was what I was trying to do, but you won't let me.....