PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well - what would YOU do??
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2003, 08:51
EESDL

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I think it was TABDY who suggested that the pilot should have known when 'enough was enough', ie " Chicken Fuels".
It's fine from a warm seat stating the obvious but CFs to nearest suitable airfields would have probably saved time in the long run.

I gather there was not the added 'commercial pressure' aspect to account for aswell. Telling someone else via RT may have been a way of sharing the problem but would not have always led to as satisfactory solution. Atleast with a Robbo you can still use most Garages.

Classic scenario...trying to fly around increasing storms along the south coast (Glorious Goodwood - Gatwick to Goodwood -punters going to the evening ball). Fuel light comes on, viz down to burrer all in showers. Knew I had Shoram to dive into for fuel so allowed myself another attempt at getting through the ridge line. Added complication of HT wires. Now couldn't even get to Shoram, positive decision to put down in a field...blow me but there was the 'pub' right ahead.
Passengers took on the British Bulldog spirit (one was bare foot - she was meeting her dress shoes at Goodwood!) A local resident drove the punters to Goodwood, whilst his wife made me a cup of tea and gave me use of the telephone to organise recovery (ac parked sufficiently close enough to the gate for towed bowser to reach (have to admit that this was a fluke, rain had made the field a quagmire).
The punters were happy - got to the ball on time with a tale to tell.
The locals were happy (given a pleasure flight at a later date).
The Jetbox was happy and returned to work the next day.
I was happy, taxi to my hotel, John Smiths, and a night club full of strange folk.
The company were happy, reputation still intact and invoice paid as the punters were actually picked up in the first place and conveyed to their destination!

Put it in a field every time, you'll be surprised that it doesn't happen to the locals/pax all that often!