PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hughes Tailspin
Thread: Hughes Tailspin
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2003, 08:20
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was studying my aerodye stuff the other day and came up with this very question......can you get a "settling with power" effect on the tail rotor?. then I read this bit on this thread

1. The tail rotor gets into a vortex ring state of its own, possibly due to interference from the wake or downwash of the main rotor. The tail of the ship "settles with power" sideways. This manifests itself as an uncommanded yaw rate.

I really hope this is the way things happen because it was about how I was thinking......other wise its back to study to get the right answer to my own question. (god I hate wanting to know everything, all it does is continually raise more questions)
What would the right recovery actions be? lower collective and cyclic forward? would a slight decrease in power help? how does this effect machines that decrease power when lowering the collective? (governer/corrilator?)
Has anyone had this problem with the R22? I would expect the machine would be in the worst sorts of conditions all the time whilst mustering in the north bit of oz.

Last edited by the wizard of auz; 5th Jan 2003 at 11:17.