PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotational question
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 21:12
the coyote

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not keep the RRPM where it needs to be given the situation you are in?

What does the flare do? Yes, it increases RRPM (very helpful), yes it decreases speed (even more important), but the MOST important thing is that it reduces your rate of descent. Most people banter around about 1800 fpm in stable auto. It is this ROD that will kill you when you impact the ground, unless you roll it up in a ball at high speed.

If you have a higher RRPM during a stabilised auto, you will have a higher ROD that you will then need to arrest at the bottom.

My goal in any auto is to arrive if possible with the correct mix of speed, ROD and RRPM for the environment I'm landing in. Make that happen with correct control. I cringe when I hear broadstroke statements like "I'd put the needles through the roof", because it implies a one size fits all approach that I don't advocate.

Twice I have been to the ground with the engine stopped. Once in a R22 and once in a H300. Both were uneventful touchdowns with no damage and RRPM within limits all the way. There simply wasn't the need, in those situations, to spin the rotor high, so why do it?