PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Be careful when fishing. This one has a big bite.
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 20:22
H2SO4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me quote some of the classics from this thread.

I expect they chose to ignore the repeated warnings, probably in different many different languages over the hailer as well.
Baseless assumption.

Trigger happy....I don't think so, taking what means are necessary in a short time to protect oneself given the nature of terrorism I'd say those clowns were lucky to not have been blown into the next galaxy.
if you take on the US navy by trying to outrun them in your tin boat.how bloody stupid would you have to be.oh that's right they are!
A poor guy lost his life and there is no compassion for him? No thought for his family? Only one of the posters has expressed sorrow at the loss of life while many more chose to insult him.

An american naval ship is not a rare thing in the Gulf, and approach one at your peril.
Heights of arrogance. Do some Americans believe that they have the right to poke their noses in the affairs of all countries? And expect everyone to make way for their interference?

Now they have force protection on board and very clear well publicized rules of engagement that aren't a secret to anyone. As a boat captain in the Gulf it's your job to be aware of them and abide by the rules..if you don't then you get dead or sunk or both.
And Don you are incorrect..500 yards is the Naval Vessel Protection Zone, requires slow speed and radio contact, and never closer than 100 yards and it's public knowledge. Look it up if you will.
Ordinary fishermen can not and should not be expected to go through the Rules of Engagement of the US navy.

The Naval Vessel Protection Zone is a term from the local law of the USA. In case there is no similar international law, other countries and their vessels can not be expected to follow these regulations.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

A naval vessel protection zone exists around U.S. naval vessels greater than 100 feet in length overall at all times in the navigable waters of the United States

Last edited by H2SO4; 23rd Jul 2012 at 04:47.