PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Anyone?
Thread: Monarch Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 12:06
PilotsOfTheCaribbean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is starting to meander, and this morality discussion is an oxbow lake. Dicky Branson ressurected the concept of "shock" advertising with his boat, balloon and fibreglass airplane adventures years ago. The "shock" element was in his personal exploits, but they were always accompanied by the word Virgin in 12 foot high letters in the background, and good luck to him. As I recall, he also launched the concept of political slogan graffiti on the fuselage. "No way BA/AA" etc. Others then copied the concept with topics such as the abolition of duty free, etc. The lo-co's didn't miss a trick either and used the aircraft as billboards for their own marketing news, telephone numbers, as well as billboards for third party advertising. I remember seeing whole aircraft painted up in the colours of Hertz, Jaguar etc. Some of the perhaps more tasteless slogans of triumph, simply emulated some of the more tasteless slogans that were being orated by the "Shock Jock" MD's of one or two companies. Whether they believed what they said, I have no idea, but it achieved a result. That result I already alluded to in my previous post, aggressive marketing by way of free publicity!

Whole TV series were devoted to some of these fast expanding companies. Aggressive marketing formed the core element of many of these programmes. It often mattered little if the emotions being aroused in the viewing audience were anger, loathing, hate or love, just so long as it did arouse an emotion that would instill the name of the company in the wider public psyche. Even Monarch dipped their toe in this particular pond.

Pilots had no real input in this marketing concept, and the morality, tastefulness or otherwise of it, is irreleant to this particular discussion. Pilots I know in other companies work within the confines set by their own managements. We all work to put food on the table, a roof over our families heads and have enough left over to buy jam and save for the future! It is therefore important that we are satisfied we have made the right choices in life.

I am happy that I made a right choice many years ago. I am happy with what I know now. I am happy to advise my own family to follow in my footsteps. I am happy to advise others to follow the same path. When I speak to other pilots, it becomes clear that there are certain companies that provide a lifestyle they enjoy. That lifestyle isn't simply money although money is an important element. It involves their working profiles, their environment, and how they interact within their own workplaces. Putting competitive banter aside, it is usually clear who the good employers are, and who the bad employers are.

A company is made up of the sum total of its parts. One of those parts (and an important one) are the employees. Shock Jock policies might have a positive marketing impact with your customer base, but I believe they have completely the opposite effect with your employees. If those employees are not on your side, then you might as well be puttting bad fuel in the aircraft. You can rule by fear when you have the resources to do it, but it isn't likely to end well.

On the subject of cadets. In easyjet's defence, they were recruiting cadets throughout 5 years of an employment drought. Had it not been for them (in the most part) the backlog of new well trained pilots, would stretch through the classroooms, the halls of residence, the bank managers office, all the way down the High street, over the hills and far away! As pretty much the only game in town, and with a low cost philosophy in every heartbeat, it was inevitable that "flexicrew" and T&C's to match, would manifest themselves in some form or other. It is also perfectly reasonable that the survivors would seek the same terms as most other pilots as the situation improved.

So here we are.

Is Monarch a good move for cadets looking for a career placement? Yes!
Is Monarch a good move for ex-cadets looking to advance? Yes!
Is Monarch a good move for pilots looking for a career progression? Yes!
Is Monarch a good move for pilots looking for career stability? Yes!
Is Monarch a good move for pilots looking for a sound employer? Yes!
Is Monarch a good move for pilots looking for good terms and conditions? Yes!
Is Monarch a good company for general satisfaction of lifestyle? Yes!
Is Monarch a company where you and your family are likely to be happy? Yes!
Can I guarantee the future? No! But then I couldn't thirty years ago either. However I am convinced that the future plans, resources, and commitment are very good. Talking to the new pilots who have joined this year over a beer at the bar, they don't doubt the choices they have made either, or indeed the good fortune to be a part of the future.