PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You have an electrical fire in the cockpit...
Old 22nd Jul 2012, 10:07
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter

The system is so variable that I don't think that you can generalize about pilot standards across the country's that I quoted, as an instructor I get to see a lot of pilots some have come directly from flying schools in the USA , some have not been able to land a PA 28 on the 700m runway at Booker, others have been practically faultless and much the same picture is evident from UK trained pilots who fly out of large airfields.

The long distance flying thing is due to culture not ability with most clubs in the UK taking a " there be draggons" attitude to crossing the channel, add paperwork required and you have all the conditions for those who want to be seen as important turning crossing 25 mies of water into a black art.

Poor aircraft control in the circuit is due to a combination of noise abatement procedures and young pilots who think at they are airline pilots and want to be stabilized at 1000 ft and three miles, fortunately I teach at a place that has the option of a 600 ft oval circuit so we don't have those problems. Once a student has got the basics of landing the aircraft i try to get at a minimun one visit to a 500m runway for the short field work. As I said recently on another forum when needs dictated I have flown a 737 around a circuit that would have fitted inside the circuit at Booker so I have a lot of sympathy with your situation at your base airfield.

Technical matters are along with aerodynamics probably the worst taught subjects, I try to get at leaset one visit to the maintenance base during a PPL' s training as looking at an aircraft that is in pieces helps a lot with the understanding the construction and the systems.

We insist that a coppy of the POH is in the aircraft and have them avalable on PDF for the students to download.

To return to the electrical fire subject I think that the diference of opinion we between Big Pistons and myself is about 30 seconds before the master switch is turned off, he advocates a structured power up, ( with the possibility of re-starting the fire ) I advocate a structured power down with no re-powering of the electrical system. It is likely that in both cases after the first indication of posable electrical fire the system will be powered for about 60 seconds, in the case of Big Pistons that would be in two 30 second bursts.
This assumes that in both cases it takes the pilot about 15 seconds to react to the inital indication.
The other thing that is a factor in the UK is that unlike anywhere else that I can think of the ATC D&D cell can command instant help on the ground that will be awaiting you on arrival, and the proximity of airfields in the UK. I might take a slightly different attitude if I was in Alaska or out in the GAFA were any form of help was a long way away and there was practically no other air traffic.

Last edited by A and C; 22nd Jul 2012 at 10:21.