PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A380 - VH-OQA Write Off.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 10:46
V-Jet

Received 59 Likes on 29 Posts
The guy is a tool.

The F/O was a guy who 'managed upwards' and had the support of some extremely 'helpful' checkies in the rear seats (who are not meant to take an active role) and with that assistance the 'Hero' of OQA was able to get the thing on the ground. Even then (from a 'well informed source') it was up to the skill, understanding and confidence of the F/O who actually managed to get the ground firies to shut the engine down that was still running after it 'should' have already shut down that solved an enormous number of potential problems getting pax off the jet.

I am not gods gift to aviation. I do however recognise excellence when I hear about it. IMHO two people saved the day on that flight. Paramount was the F/O - who fought to receive no accolades and no Oprah Winfrey tours, the others in particular (and their were two) very highly qualified SCC's - both who strongly supported the FO but felt the same way as he did about publicity.

I will not comment publicly on the name of the F/O, but if I could for a moment put myself in his position in (say) a licence renewal cyclic I would have thought I had completed an extremely difficult session that was meant to be a capts management exercise supposedly run from the LHS, but in which I felt I did well enough for us both to pass despite piss poor support from the 'boss' who was meant to be in charge.

Out of interest, Can anyone answer this question? Who on that check ride (and it was a checkride for one of the crew members) had to satisfactorily complete another one before being cleared to operate on the line in their rank?