PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Anyone?
Thread: Monarch Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 10:05
MaxPower2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a real shame the easyJet has gone down this path. They have everything in place to be a very good career airline: convenient bases, new well equipped aircraft, excellent training and great routes. For some reason they choose not to. Although you get the odd arrogant t****r, many of the cadets are competent, professional and level headed, as sprinkles so eloquently demonstrated. In any other profession, pay and terms and conditions would be such as to attract and retain these types of people. Easy seems to be actively doing the opposite as at present there is a constant stream of (cheaper) newbies to take their place. From a business point of view it makes perfect sense, from a moral point of view it is just wrong. Many large businesses, including airlines have managed to be successful without resorting to these draconian methods.

It is easy to blame the cadets or call them naive, however when faced with loan repayments etc and flexi-crew is your only option, you have to accept the pain, use it as a means to getting experience and move on. You could go further and question the taking of such loans or even getting involved with CTC in the first place. You can keep asking questions but eventually you arrive at one which we can be asked of all of us, why did you choose this profession in the first place?

We can speculate and debate all day as to the security of one airline against another, however surely this is a question of job security. In a sane world this would represent the same thing, however this is not the case as the flexi-crew contract offers no security whatsoever within what is a very secure airline.

I made my decision based on the same reasons highlighted in the last few posts and can honestly 100% say that I have not regretted my decision for a second. I have always enjoyed my job, but I now do so without resentment towards my employer and I actually feel appreciated for my efforts. On that basis I would actively encourage anyone, especially flexi-crew, to move.

Monarch like easyJet, demand high competency and professionalism. The difference is, in return you will be treated with respect, be paid well (and consistently!) and be afforded a decent work life balance and a definite career structure.

Last edited by MaxPower2011; 21st Jul 2012 at 10:10.