PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rated Thrust, At Which RPM?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2012, 04:00
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, I've never heard of bearing speed being a speed limitation, and I've been in the game over 45 years. The limiting speed is always determined by stress loads on the blades and rotor discs
Correct and to add, vibratory stress levels often go hand in hand with speed excursions above 100% of the rated number whatever that is.

The basic stresses are designed around a mechanical rated 100% with a 25-30 % safety level for discs above that and a 5-10% safety level for blade vibration in a running engine.

I once did a study on the variations between flat rated 100% speeds as published in the operating specs and the mechancial limit speed of 100% on the type data sheets and found that the differences were all over the lot between engine models.

The engine manufacturer is not too worried about the performance rated speed going above 100% on a deterioated engine or under some outside temp-pressure variations but would take a dim view if the mechanical limit speed of 100% were exceeded by more than 5%

Of course the newer engines with Fadecs make this a moot point to worry about today.

Today it's mostly turbine life that self corrects operating engines on the edge

Yet there are still lessons learned out there in the data base behind all this.