PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Santorini
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2012, 12:11
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All good interesting stuff, but is there any chance that Dave will report how he got on in Santorini - with the flying that is?

Jack

Sure ... No amount of emails uncovered a light plane in Santorini - the "Guessna" is a myth. I did contact George in Iraklion, with whose Cretan Eagle I have flown before and he had no knowledge of anybody in Santorini, he did offer to bring the 152 from Crete but understandably needed to charge 2 x 1hr positioning.

When I got there, with easyJet from Gatwick, there was nothing in sight, other than a couple of biz jets and a wreck of a twin.

Nobody I spoke to (including locals) knew of any based light aircraft. My hotel had local sightseeing flights advertised but when pressed said it didn't happen anymore. Somebody did take bookings for helicopter tours and shoehorned all his bookings into a single day, once a week, when he apparently positioned from Athens. Same helicopter apparently does the medivac flights to Athens as the local medical facilities don't include much beyond A & E and mums in labour often have their offspring at 1500 ft over the Aegean.

.... so I stuck to sunbathing and drinking and waited until I got back to Redhill.

Hoping this weekend will let me do some sunbathing and drinking and good luck to anybody that wants to take on Atlas. Next weekend is "le shuttle" to France, whilst Surrey is given over to Olympic cyclists.

Last edited by Dave Gittins; 20th Jul 2012 at 12:13.