PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too high on final
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2012, 05:47
Purzel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the replies!

We were in a PA28, so side-slipping would be an option (our C172 are placarded as well, but side-slipping seems to work like everywhere else). When I learned, I learned first in a PA 22 Colt, no flaps, so side-slips were/are taught off course.

I was in the plane with an instructor for my revalidation (every two years check), and he said the only way to do it would be to push the nose down. I remeber clearly another instructor telling me years ago that the most effective way would be to lower the speed below approach-speed. So, two different opinions from two different instructors.

That is why I asked here for opinions from more people and as I suspected, there is no single truth about this (apart form going around off course).

We don't use S-turns, mainly because our airfield is smack in the middle of the town and some people living there seem to be allergic to even seeing planes. We stick to our circuit very stricktly.

The only thing that makes me wonder is why neither I nor my instructor thought of side-slipping. A very effective way, I will ask the instructor the next time I see him if there was a reason for not using a side-slip.

Oh, btw, I am not a student anymore. But we all try to do things the best possible way and this just one thing where I always try to improve.

Thanks again for your replies!