PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2012, 02:21
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
I know this has been discussed before in Using iPad in place of DAPS, but I can't see what the fuss is all about. Nowhere do the Regs dictate in what format the charts and documents should be, simply that they must be current and carried for the flight. All the faffing about carrying paper back ups for the iPad are as relevant as carrying two sets of charts in case one flies out of the window in flight: and yes, it has happened to me. Very hard to read a chart when it is stuck on the sponson brace of a Sea King, let me tell you

FFS, CASA even issue regs in electronic form these days, and it is a legal option not to carry the Flight Manual in flight if the Company Ops Manual is carried instead; with no mention that the Ops Manual has to be in paper format.

I saw a report last week that Qantas are planning to issue their pilots with iPads bluetoothed to the cockpit electronics within six months, depending on CASA approval. If the red tailed rat can't get that approval then it will not happen for us, but when they do get approved I expect iPad use to become the norm throughout GA: as it should be