PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eastern Airways
Thread: Eastern Airways
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 20:53
BufordTJustice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enough is enough

I have wrestled with the idea of contributing to this thread for some time. My main concern is that this is far from the best arena in which the very dirty and grubby laundry of Eastern Airways should be aired, yet there is very little alternative and we arereaching a critical point at which people really do need to voice their concerns and fears. I have chosen tojoin the discussion using a new, non-identifying username. I appreciate the irony in that as we are openly discussing known management figures whilst hiding behind online profiles but, for me, this is the only option. At Eastern, there is no culture of open discussion and those who are brave enough to raise concerns are dealt with in an incredibly harsh and spiteful manner. Like most within the organisation, I cannot afford to go toe-to-toe with those in management – I have a career to try and foster.

Firstly, let’s make one thing very clear. Eastern Airways is a private company, owned by two men – BH and RL. It is their train set and, quite rightly, they will do with it what they see fit. Whilst we all have formed opinions on how the company really should be run, those opinions are currently of little value to either. Both men have become increasingly wealthy because of the relative success of the company and for that, I actually have to applaud them. The company has posted healthy profits in a hugely challenging marketand have bucked the negative trends we see in the industry. New opportunities have been explored and I genuinely believe that Eastern Airways is very well placed to expand in both current and new markets. I’m actually glad about this and would like to try and play a part in whatever is next.

As with all businesses, it is of course all about the bottom line. But, there are things in life thatdon’t cost a penny. Respect, manners and courtesy are but three. I have genuinely never worked for a company (in and out of aviation) that appears to take such pleasure in knocking down and censuring their staff. Eastern Airways have some really talented and excellent people in all areas of the operation who have a huge amount to offer. Most of these people would liketo play their part in the future of the company but have been that harangued and worn down, they feel so disenfranchised to the point where they daren’t get involved – it just isn’t worth it. It is indicative of a rotten culture within the company and I don’t believe that is healthy.

As crew, I have many concerns. I think I speak for many when I say that the main issue surrounds crewing and roster stability. I know many of you at other companies will look at this and laugh, but it has disruption has been running at endemic levels since I can remember and will soon prove to be the straw which will break the camel’s back. The bottom line (which RL is also so very keen to quote) is that we are severely under-crewed and under-resourced to dangerous levels. I am seeing (myself included) consistently working close to 7 and 14 dayhourly limits. There have been allegations of massaging of duty hours so that enough crew are available to keep things going. Unfortunately for the company, and ever increasing number of crew are becoming far wiser to these antics and are taking a far keener interest in the hours that they are doing. As crew, we have the ultimate responsibility to ensure we work with the framework of the FTL however we do rely on our crewing department to play with straight dice too. Too many people have told me of their own personal examples where their records do not match the records of the company for it to be an isolated incident.

Honesty and crewing are seldom bed buddies. The favourite phrase is “last minute sickness”. What they really mean is that they don’t have enough crew. I don’t blame the girls in crewing – they are trying to do an unforgiving job under dire circumstances. They are poorly trained and over-burdened. The fault lies at their manipulative and conniving management. They are people who after shaking hands with, you would still check you have all your fingers. They are people who ‘cry’ down the phone line to exhausted crews to beg them to do just another couple of sectors, then hangup and laugh at, and I quote, the “mugs”. God forbid they stand up and give RL the honest picture as opposed tothe one which will save their backsides.

That brings nicely on the subject of SJ. Personally, I’ve had very little to do with the guy and when I have, I’ve kept it cordial and brief. I was aware of his reputation and acted accordingly. Unfortunately, I have friends who have not been as lucky. If the rumours are true of his departure (I say rumours as there has been nothing official from the company) then I for one welcome the change, simply because it is a job that couldn’t be done any worse. An ineptitude for the role is masked by an aura of inflated ego, bully boy tactics and smarm. It’s a really poisonous and unattractive mix. I often feel that he left the RAF a long while ago but just can’t let go of his military methods. He has made a lot of enemies and unfortunately made even more people very miserable. History will not be kind on SJ’s time in the role. He has sacrificed the needs of many to suit his own personal agenda and as other top people, protect his position.

That’s the problem RL has. He’s got some great crews and staff. Lots of can-do people who are keen to do the job and do it to the very best of our professional abilities. We want to be involved, be part of the success and feel proud of what we do. It’s just that he never gets to interact with us. He’s been kept at arm’s length by a gaggle of middle/senior management who are more concerned with building little empires than being part of what should be a collective success story. If you do read this Richard (and I hope you don’t mind me calling you that), then come and speak to us direct – we’re on your side. You’ve got some fantastic people on your team who are dying to be given the chance to work together on building something special. Don’t let the ‘yes’ men blind you and drag this company to the ground. I fear for the future and you have to be the man to say that it stops right now. Contrary to popular belief, most of us are happy to put the fuel in theSpitfire, just give us the opportunity. I know you’ve got it in you, the old hands of the company have told meso.

I feel that we’re approaching now approaching a big moment in the history of Eastern Airways. Fairly strong rumours indicate that several people at the level of management which I’ve castigated are heading for the exit. Some are postholders and that will inevitably attract the attention of the CAA. Questions should rightly be asked by them as to the situation and I’m not sure they’ll like what they hear. Personally, I’m highly concerned. Crews are running on empty, too many aircraft are sitting tech on the ground and something is going to give. I’ve seen too many cabin crew in tears because they aren’t going home yet again or flight deck crews make honest mistakes because they are knackered. I don’t want to see the point where crews become militant and uncooperative but that is exactly where this sorry mess is heading – it won’t do anyone any favours. History shows us that for every poorly run airline there is usually a smoking hole in the ground. It doesn’t have to be this way. If we (and I mean everyone at Eastern Airways) step up and be brave,honest and confident then we will come out of this period stronger, wiser and well placed to become a respected outfit. Let’s start setting the benchmarks instead of being the ones people pity.

I don’t know about you lot but I’m tired of whinging and wishing it was better. Let’s make a difference – let’s make the step up. Who’s in?