PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London Helicopters Price hike
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 15:48
Cylinder Head

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reality Check

MD23 - Time for a few home truths?

Just exactly who is "forcing" you to pay an extra £20 per hour? If you don't want to pay the price, don't fly! I think its a bit out of order trying to stir up dissent amongst others.

I have no conection with LHC but as a flying school based North of London, I know well the economics of the business. Operating helicopters in the UK is a thankless business and almost impossible to make anything other than minimal profits. We do it 'cos we love it and that's the problem, we've been undercharging for years. Costs have recently gone through the roof and the price charged in the industry for SFH and training is now about £100 per hour too cheap in my opinion.

Avgas has gone up by 50 % over the last 5 or so years - has the SFH rate reflected that - I don't think so. How many flying schools have gone bust in the last 18 months? Five that I know of because the market has been working to a flawed model for far too long and its about time there were some sensible price rises to allow schools to make an adequate margin. Trouble is that as prices rise, volumes go down, so income remains static and there is over supply in the market with too many operators undercutting each other. Bravo for LHC for grasping the nettle and trying to stay profitable.

You may have spent thousands with LHC but I can assure you that practically all you have spent will have been paid out again to the airfield, fuel companies, maintenance, insurance, not mention supporting the lifestyles of the parasites at Gatwick.

If you feel that you can get better elsewhere, then by all means vote with your feet - you'll find cheaper elsewhere I am sure, but we know what the costs are and the only way to be cheaper is to cut corners. Do you really want to fly with a company that does that?

If you can't afford to pay LHC's new rates, then don't pay them - but don't try and make out they are profiteering - if they wanted to do that, they'd be in banking!