PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Too high on final
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 11:58
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are other things you can do other than side slip but not sure you should unless you have experience.
One is to increase your distance to touchdown by weaving left and right that also works if another aircraft on final is too close or you need more time for him to clear the runway.
The other is to do an orbit back onto final but that will depend where you are and is unlikely to be an option.
I can remember taking up a hold on final with ATC approval while they cleared some possible debris which had been noticed on the runway.
Both above are not advisable for novice pilots!
Personally I do not like to take full flap unless I am really fairly well assured of landing dragging in from miles out with full flap is not in my book a managed approach and unless full flap is recommended for the aircraft you can use the drag for coming back to your reference landing speed.
I also question the advisability of coming down the approach with a closed throttle as you have little way of knowing if there will be any power there when you do need it and with full flap and closed throttle you are limiting the options available to you to control speed and descent profile.

Pace