PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 10:06
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the decoy ECM aircraft during simulated mass bombing attacks
I have remembered an Exercise King Pin in June 1965. It was the last mass raid against the UK ADR that I am aware of.

The raid was in two parts. We were on a broad front from Newcastle to the Wash and the V-bombers approached in two parallel lines at flt lvls above FL400. In between the two V flights there were two or three Canberra waves at levels around the high 300. The force numbered around 300 bombers and the waves were just 20 minutes from front to rear. We were in the top stack at Fl 550. Before flight our H2S freqs were measured and the accurate freqs passed to the ADOC for some sophisticated analysis. We ran in with radars at standby so that blew that plan I don't recall whether we used ECM but I think we did thus giving cover to the Canberras.

Just to spice up the day, the 3rd AF followed through with a further mass raid from Great Yarmouth to the Humber with a further 200 aircraft.

I don't know if there were any USAFE fighters involved but I recall that the combined strength of Fighter Command and the FAA, which was deployed forward, was just 199 - Hunters, Sea Vixen, Javelin and Lightning.

I watched part of the fight through the sextant and could see lots of contrails executing stern conversions on the non-evading bombers. At FL 550 we were never engaged.