PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The ghost of RAF Chivenor
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2012, 03:00
willjones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chivenor ghosts/Saunton

Ref my mention in another post, my mum Stella, still alive and kicking, worked at the base later WW2. Says they were fixing damaged planes etc + ?. Never mentioned ghosts, maybe was bad luck then. Will ask and post anything new.

Ref a crash ex-Chivenor. We went Croyde etc for early 50s summer hols thru the family local. One Croyde Beach day age about 5 one of the Chivenor planes hit the large hill to the rear/east of the village causing a huge smoke plume, must have been around 1952/3. Think the RAFetc emerg dashed to it along the cliff road. Maybe one of the ghost candidates.

Plus. Ref uncle W.Cdr Peter Berry (see other post). Another story from my mum/granny: PB and family were in the area '60s, not sure if family hol in Braunton, or at Chivenor posting. But a mine had washed up on Saunton beach. He was somehow dragged into dealing with it - according to their story the result was the complete blowing in of every window in the Saunton Sands Hotel - which was alot of windows. Anyone know about this?
Will Jones